Can I win a civil suit with just a document that originated on an e-mail? 1 Answers as of July 13, 2011

My stepson had creditors taking action against him, he owed an approx.$30,000.00. He asked me to help with his finances. I called his creditors, and with $11,000.00 would be able to clear his debt. He agreed that if I were to take out a loan, because his credit is bad, he would make the monthly payments. I wrote an agreement up on the computer stating that if he were to miss 2 consecutive payments, I would be able to recover the full amount from him. Being the fact that it's a unsecured loan, the interest is so high that making monthly payments of $287.00 for 5 years is killing me.
At first I tried to document every time he missed a payment but he hasn't made a payment for so long that he's easily in default of his agreement. If I were to win this case can a judge make it to where if he doesn't pay me back in full or make his payments that he will be in contempt of court facing jail time? I think it would be the only way to get my money back.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Apple Law Firm PLLC
Apple Law Firm PLLC | David Goldman
Your stepson could just file bankruptcy and then he would not owe you anything. You might take this into consideration when evaluating your options.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 7/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: