Can I voluntarily surrender my building to the City? 4 Answers as of February 19, 2014

I purchased an old building 7 years ago. At the time the city doesn't have any ordinance rules. In the past 3-4 years, they established the new ordinance rules and now saying my building is in violation of many rules. They will condemn it and demolish it and ask for me to pay for it. I don't have money to tear it down myself or to fix it. Can I voluntarily surrender the building to the city?

Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
Talk to the city attorney and find out what your options are. If you walk away from the house, the costs should attach to the house; talk to the city attorney about just deeding it to the city.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
You would have to check with the city attorneys.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
This is a tricky issue.. if your building is still safe and occupied it might be "grandfathered" as a non-conforming use even with the new ordinances. you really need to investigate that thoroughly. Generally if they have the legal right.. they will demolish it and try to charge you.. but their leverage is that it is put against the property as a surcharge to the property taxes. SO.. if you fail to pay taxes they simply take the property.
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
You need to negotiate an agreement to relieve yourself of liability, not just abandon or surrender it.