Can I voluntarily surrender my building to the City? 4 Answers as of February 19, 2014

I purchased an old building 7 years ago. At the time the city doesn't have any ordinance rules. In the past 3-4 years, they established the new ordinance rules and now saying my building is in violation of many rules. They will condemn it and demolish it and ask for me to pay for it. I don't have money to tear it down myself or to fix it. Can I voluntarily surrender the building to the city?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Meister & McCracken Law Firm, PLLC | Joanne M. McCracken
Talk to the city attorney and find out what your options are. If you walk away from the house, the costs should attach to the house; talk to the city attorney about just deeding it to the city.
Answer Applies to: Arkansas
Replied: 2/19/2014
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC
The Law Office of Darren Aronow, PC | Darren Aronow
You would have to check with the city attorneys.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/19/2014
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
This is a tricky issue.. if your building is still safe and occupied it might be "grandfathered" as a non-conforming use even with the new ordinances. you really need to investigate that thoroughly. Generally if they have the legal right.. they will demolish it and try to charge you.. but their leverage is that it is put against the property as a surcharge to the property taxes. SO.. if you fail to pay taxes they simply take the property.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 2/19/2014
Edelman, Combs, Latturner & Goodwin, LLC | Daniel A. Edelman
You need to negotiate an agreement to relieve yourself of liability, not just abandon or surrender it.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 2/18/2014
Click to View More Answers: