Can I visit my home country and then re enter the US? 4 Answers as of August 22, 2011

I am in US on J-1 visa but my US visa has expired. I do have a DS-2019 valid until July 2013. Is there any way I can visit my home country for a month and then reenter US. Re applying for US visa in my home country would take 3-4 months and I cannot stay that long. Please help.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC
Feldman Feldman & Associates, PC | Lynne Feldman
If your visa has expired you will need a new one to return
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/22/2011
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Reza Athari
If you J visa has expired, you are not in legal status. You may not return on DS-2019 alone, you will need a new visa.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 8/16/2011
Fong & Associates
Fong & Associates | William D. Fong
No, generally speaking, you must get another visa to re-enter the U.S.
Answer Applies to: Texas
Replied: 8/13/2011
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal
Law Offices of Grinberg and Segal | Alexander Segal
The answer to your question depends upon the specific information in your DS-2019 and non-immigrant visa. These documents may indicate that you can use them for multiple entries.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 8/13/2011
Click to View More Answers: