Can I visit another country as a US green card holder? 1 Answers as of February 15, 2011

I am a green card holder and want to visit Canada. What is the maximum visit time allowed? Do they stamp that date on the passport when they ask at the airport how long are you going to stay in Canada?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
As a green card holder, you may re-enter the USA without difficulty. Staying out of the USA for longer than six months raises the issue of whether you still intend permanent residence here. There could be a good reason for an extended stay out of the USA; for instance, service in the US military.

Whether you can enter another country is a matter of that country's law. At the Canadian border, Canadian immigration will typically ask how long you are planning to stay and if you have the money to support yourself while you are in Canada.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 2/15/2011
Click to View More Answers: