Can I visit an inmate if I'm on informal probation? 8 Answers as of March 08, 2011

I'm on informal probation for a 1st offense DUI conviction in CA. Can I visit an inmate without getting into any trouble/violate probation?

Contact the jail directly for information. Policies differ from County to County. You might have to have special permission.
Contact the jail or prison and ask. Some rules bar you, but even that wouldnt get you in trouble, unless your probation is a no contact with criminals order.
The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco
The Law Offices of Victor J Mazzaraco | Victor J Mazzaraco
Call the facility and ask them. Rules vary from facility to facility.
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller
Law Office of Thomas F. Mueller | Thomas Mueller
You will not be in violation of your probation. Simply go to the jail and apply. If their policy is to prohibit visits by probationers they will reject the request. Don't volunteer that you are on probation. But don't lie about it if you are asked the direct question.
Visiting an inmate would not be a violation of probation unless there was a specific restriction in the informal probation that said you could not do so. I have handled many DUI cases and have never heard of any such restriction.