Can I use the priority date from my ex employer to my current green card application? 4 Answers as of October 17, 2013

I have applied for green card through my current employer which is in a long wait period. I had once applied for my green card through an ex-employer some 10 years ago which had closed business and I moved on. Can I somehow use the priority date from that application to port it to my current application? I think the I140 was approved there but I don't have it with me from that employer. I still have contacts to the people working there. What can I do?

If you have an approved I-140 you can recapture that Priority Date onto a subsequent I-140 even if in a different employment-based category.
You should speak with your employer's immigration attorney.
The Law Offices of Mary Lyn T. Sanga, A Professional Corporation | Mary Lyn Tanawan Sanga
Yes, you can recapture the priority date of an earlier approved Form I-140 petition. Obtain a copy of the Form I-140 approval notice and submit it to USCIS when you request for recapturing.
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law
Christian Schmidt, Attorney at Law | Christian Schmidt
You can recapture the priority date from an earlier I-140 but current employer must file new I-140 including Labor Certification.