Can I use a photo of Faberge's missing Royal Danish egg on a book cover? 1 Answers as of June 23, 2015

I would like to use either a photo or a drawing of Faberge's Royal Danish egg on a book cover I'm planning to publish. Is it legal for me to do so?

Law Office of Kirk Buhler
Law Office of Kirk Buhler | Kirk A Buhler
It generally depends upon where the image came from. If you draw it yourself, or if you legally take a picture of the actual egg then you should be fine. (remember the signs that say "No photography or recording of any type". If you reproduce a picture or drawing without authorization then you could be violating the rights of the creator of the drawing or picture. The rights of the creator generally last the life of the creator plus a number of years, 99 years + / - after death. You usually will not be arrested, but you can be sued by the creator or owner of the work.