Can I use my wife's illegal past to keep what is rightfully mine? How? 3 Answers as of August 20, 2015

My wife and I have been separated and recently divorced. She was from Mexico, and supposed to go back when she graduated high school. However, she obtained a social security number (of a dead girl with the same birthday as her) and stayed until we got married. Five months after we married she got her green card and filed for divorce. She is now causing me all sorts of problems trying to take half of everything. What can I do to bring her illegal past to light and keep what is rightfully mine?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
Her immigration status and naturalization has nothing to do with the right to equally divide property that was acquired during the course of the marriage. Please consult with an experienced family law attorney to better understand your legal rights and responsibilities.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 8/20/2015
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
You clearly have a number of issues and I would need all of the details to determine what, if anything, she is entitled to. This appears to be an extremely short term marriage from your description. If you're already been divorced of the property settlement should have been dealt with in the final decree and will be valid. If you are not yet divorced, that means a final decree has not been entered, then you should get an attorney immediately.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/19/2015
John Russo | John Russo
So let me see if I have this correct, you were fine with her alleged illegal activities until she filed for divorce and starting causing you problems, OK, sounds like at the very least you were complicit with her alleged activities while they were on going, so I would watch out for that can of worms. Unless you try and claim you just found all this out? Good luck with that one.
Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
Replied: 8/19/2015
Click to View More Answers: