Can I use my green card to buy alcohol ? 6 Answers as of January 13, 2011

I was at a grocery store one time and decided to buy an alcohol beverage. All I have with me is my green card but at the checkout they did not let me but the alcohol because they said that they do not accept the green card as identification card.

If they don't, they don't. It is not illegal. Thus you can't force them to.
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law
Theresa E. Tilton, Attorney at Law | Theresa E. Tilton
Yes, you should be able to use your green card to buy alcohol. It has your photo and your date of birth.

It is issued by the United States Government, and it is legal proof of age and identity to any state or federal agency.

Some states restrict the days and hours for alcohol sales. Also, keep in mind that it is illegal to sell alcohol to a person who is intoxicated. Was that, perhaps, the problem?

Cashiers get so accustomed to seeing just drivers' licenses that they sometimes get anxious about any other documents. If your cashier refused to honor your green card, you should have asked for a manager.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
This is probably a state law question. Obviously, the green card is a valid form of federal identification. I can't see why this would be a problem, but perhaps your particular state has an issue.
A store can choose not to accept a so-called "green card" as sufficient ID proof from a customer to purchase alcohol; it's up to them.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Your green card has your date of birth, picture and is government issued, so it should have been or could have been accepted.
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    The grocery clerk probably never saw one of them...The green card is a valid identification. The clerk was wrong. Next time you get a grocery clerk who doesn't know any better, ask for the supervisor or go to a different store.