Can I use the city for being shot on the streets? 2 Answers as of March 14, 2017

I was riding in my car on the way home, when a man approached my car and fired seven times. I was hit four times and was able to drive myself to the police station. The officers proceeded to call the ambulance to take me to the hospital. While waiting, the cops interrogated me. While in the hospital recovering from then to now, I have calculated loses over 100,000 from having to use all my savings, time off work, where I gross $5,4000 a month, medical bills, repairs on my car. My disability has not been nearly enough to support my family. Not to mention I haven't seen a disability check in over a month now. Not including the second surgery schedule for May 2017. Then four to six months of recovery. Also the city/police station withholds my car claiming that my car was a part of an investigation. But the police officer on the case never checked in with me about my case and failed to follow through with any suspect. On top of that, the police officer had my car impounded the day after I was shot, so my car was never a part of an investigation. The police refused to tell me where my car was located. I found out where my car was located through a mail letter from the pound which I had to pay hundreds of dollars to pay to get my car out. Do I have a case to sue the city for neglect? Something has to be done. I am a hard working citizen, work every day and pay my taxes. Yes this situation is unfortunate and I am lucky to be here but the neglect and push aside that I have experience in this situation with the city and the police department is unacceptable.

Mark G. Patricoski, P.C. | Mark G. Patricoski
No claim against the police. Where is the criminal?
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
The police ARE entitled to retain the car for evidence. You CANNOT be charged if the car is being held on police order. NOBODY can be held responsible under Negligence for the voluntary act of another.