Can I upgrade my visa from a a B1/2 to a H1B? 4 Answers as of June 10, 2013

I have just come back from a 3 week Job visit to a Company in Texas, I am on a B1/2 visa. They want me to go back in 3 weeks. Can I do consulting for the Texas company while they apply for a H1B petition than can take up to 3 months. Technicly I am consulting for a South African company and not working for a US company. As soon as the H1B is approved can I upgrade in Texas from a B1/2 to a H1B.

Short answer is no. You are not allowed to remain in the USA while an H-1B petition is being reviewed. Your B-2 temporary business-travel visa may allow you to remain until the end of the temporary period shown on your I-94 form on your passport, but you cannot overstay while your H-1B is under review. You must, once the H-1B is approved by USCIS, set an appointment to obtain a matching entry visa based upon the H-1B to enter the USA in your nearest embassy/consulate for a consular processing. If you and the prospective employer need the assistance of an attorney (you do), feel free to contact me by phone or e-mail to set up an appointment for an in-person or phone consultation, to consider how I may be able to serve you.
In you are in the US. changing status from B1/2 to H1B will take more than 3 months from start to finish. If you are outside the U.S. and will be applying for a H1B visa, the process will easily take 4-6 months. However, since there will be no H1B visa available until October 1, 2011, neither process would allow you to start legally working until that date.
441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Yes you can.
You can consult under a b-1 visa and can only be remunerated outside the U.S. As an h-1b is a non-immigrant type visa you cannot also have the b-1/ b-2. So you will need to apply for the H-1b from October 1st. Complex issues here, so contact my office to ensure your change of status is done correctly.