Can I travel with an expired resident card? 6 Answers as of January 31, 2011

My permanent resident card expired 2 days ago but I don’t have money to renew it yet. Can I travel within the United States even with the expired resident card?

Should be OK but get the extension on file ASAP. Best is to renew online since it is already expired and print out receipt to travel with you.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A.
Carlos E. Sandoval, P.A. | Carlos Sandoval
I would not recommend it since you could have problems to return to the country and it would be a lot more costly in the long run.
No, you can't. You won't be able to return.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
Yes. But you should really renew it. Basically, you can't use the expired greencard as a form of identification so it is useless to you. I assume that for your domestic travel will, you will be using your driver's license. You absolutely CANNOT travel outside the U.S. with an expired card.
The expiration of your Alien Registration Card means that it can no longer be used as valid proof of your status and most states will not allow you to use it as valid proof of your ID. If you travel inside the U.S. and are asked to provide valid ID, example when traveling by air, you would not have valid proof. Therefore, you should Form I-90 to review your card.
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    If you do not go outside the US, you should be fine unless you go through some checkpoint. Best to use your money to first renew the green card, file electronically, get printed receipt, go to your local office to get a stamp in your passport, then travel. The current filing fee is $450.00.