Can I travel outside the US if I was convicted of two moral turpitude crimes? 9 Answers as of February 02, 2011

Can I travel to Jamaica if I was convicted of two crimes involving moral turpitude? They both were misdemeanors, one was petit larceny. The other was endangering the welfare of a child, assault in the third degree.

What is your status? You can always travel outside the U.S. subject to the rules of the other country. The problem is getting back in. I would need to see the criminal convictions, dates of the crimes, your status, etc. to properly advise. If you wish to retain us for a consult you may contact me as indicated below.
Calderón Seguin PLC
Calderón Seguin PLC | Ofelia L. Calderon
NO. Don't travel outside the U.S. without meeting with an experienced immigration attorney. Crimes involving moral turpitude make you inadmissible, meaning you can't come back in, and possibly removable. So run, don't walk, to a good attorney to check out your options first.
Sure, you could travel outside of the U.S., but on your return going through Customs, if your convictions for these crimes come to the attention of the USCIS, you could find yourself in removal proceedings.
Hugo Florido ESQ.
Hugo Florido ESQ. | Hugo Florido
If you're a resident you run the risk of being placed in removal proceedings upon your return.
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office
JCS Immigration & Visa Law Office | Jack C. Sung
Without reviewing your court documents, the best answer I have for you is not to travel out of the US because having been convicted two crimes involving moral turpitude renders you inadmissible (not able to come in) when you return to the United States.

The question really is whether your crimes are crimes involving moral turpitude (CIMT). CIMT is not uniform throughout the country and certain crimes are CIMT in some places but not others. Right off the bat I think petit larceny is definitely CIMT because it involves stealing (dishonesty act). However, the endangering the welfare of a child is unclear. I think in some states/jurisdictions it's not a CIMT while in other places it could be a CIMT.

You should get your court documents from where you were convicted and sit down with an immigration lawyer in your jurisdiction to determine whether the crime of endangering a child is a CIMT in that jurisdiction.
    If you are not in deportation process, you should be fine.
    Yes, if your are a legal permanent resident who has been convicted of one or more crimes involving moral turpitude you can be found inadmissible and put into removal proceeding upon your return to the U.S. Moreover, since you were convicted of two crimes you would not be eligible for the petty offense exemption. Also, the two crimes could also make you deportable to the U.S. and depending on why you received your Green Card, you may not be eligible to remain in the U.S.
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law
    Marie Michaud Attorney At Law | Marie Michaud
    There is a danger to be put in removal proceedings upon return to the US (if you are a green card holder).
    The Vega Law Firm
    The Vega Law Firm | Linda Vega
    Are you a legal permanent resident? You need to provide more information.