Can I travel outside the US during an immigration status change? 2 Answers as of June 02, 2011

I am currently in the US on a R1 visa (valid till August 2012). I am changing my status to an M1 while being in the US through the form I-539. This status change is still pending. I wanted to know if I can travel outside the US while the status change is pending? Can I travel outside the US after the status change has been completed? Thank you so much!

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
World Esquire Law Firm
World Esquire Law Firm | Aime Katambwe
Technically you can since you still have a status that allows for traveling in and out of the US. Most immigration lawyers would want you to finish the process you have pending with USCIS before leaving the US, so do I. But as I said, you can do that if you want. Just remember that every time you come back to the US, you are in fact applying for admission or re-admission into the US. There is never a guaranty that you will be admitted. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/2/2011
Shah Peerally Law Group PC
Shah Peerally Law Group PC | Shah Peerally
Once you travel during a change of status, the change of status will be cancelled. However you can still do consular processing. In order for you to make sure that there are no other issues involved, I will recommend talking to your attorney or an experienced attorney before you leave.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 5/31/2011
Click to View More Answers: