Can I travel outside of the US as a green card holder charged with aggravated assault? 4 Answers as of June 07, 2011

I am a green card holder. I was charged with aggravated assault. I have next court date in a month however my grandmother passed away so I have to go to my home country (India). Will I face problems while coming back? I never was convicted of anything before so apart from this I have no previous criminal record.

I believe so. So long as you are not convicted with an aggravated felony, I see no problem with you traveling for this important event in your life. Just make sure you do come back for your court date and have documentation to that effect with you just in case. You are innocent until proven guilty. I do not see you being detained at the airport. A charge is not a conviction. Good luck!
You will need to meet with an attorney with detailed information about the arrest. It will depend on the state criminal statute.
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law
Eric M. Mark, Attorney at Law | Eric Mark
Based on your open charges you may have difficulty re-entering the U.S. You should not travel until your charges are resolved.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC.
Immigration Law Offices of Misiti Global, PLLC. | Nicklaus Misiti
You are probably going to have problems with this whether you leave or not. Speak with an attorney. For a free consultation you may contact my office.