Can I travel out and return back to the U.S. being a green card holder if I was arrested for shoplifting? 8 Answers as of May 05, 2014

I was caught shoplifting items worth $175.00 4 year ago. The cops were called, they arrested me, and had me finger printed and photographed at the station. I had my first offense. I paid $600.00 for penalty. I have green card, can I travel out of the country and return back to the U.S.? 4 years I am living with my family in New Jersey.

I would not chance it.
Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
Show certificate of disposition to an immigration attorney.
Connell-Savela
Connell-Savela | Jason Savela
If you pled guilty to shoplifting, then it is risky any theft is a crime of moral turpitude and potentially excludable contact a good immigration attorney.
Edward Shulman
Edward Shulman | Edward Shulman
In the State of New Jersey shoplifting is considered a disorderly persons offense and is treated at the Municipal Court level. One shoplifting will not effect your green card and it will not prohibit you from traveling outside of the United States. If a person commits two or more shoplifting and travels outside the United States then they would have been convicted of two crimes of moral turpitude which would subject them to removal proceedings and possible mandatory detention. In your case I would not worry about the one conviction. I would recommend that you apply for citizenship after the 5 year mark so you won't have to worry about it again.
You should expunge your criminal record. You can get the necessary form from the court clerk.