Can I travel if my I485 is pending? 3 Answers as of May 20, 2011

My family based i485 is pending after interview from December. I need to travel to my home country urgently for two weeks. I'm adjusting from F1, i send the package after 5 months of my OPT expiration date. I have an AP which is valid for more than 6 months, but i read o that it is not advisable to travel if i'm out of status in US. I'm really confused, is it ok if i travel using AP for two weeks to my home country.

441 Legal Group, Inc.
441 Legal Group, Inc. | Gareth H. Bullock
Be very careful if at time before your I-485 was pending you were out of status for more than 6 months then you should not attempt to leave the country even with the AP.
Verdin Law Firm, LLC
Verdin Law Firm, LLC | Isaul Verdin
If you didn't acquire more than 180 days in unlawful presence then you can travel with your advance parole, if it's current. Remember, once you file the I-485, you stop accruing unlawful presence while it's pending. The only possible danger of traveling is that your I-485 gets denied while you are out of the country.
You can only travel outside the U.S. If the I-131 Advance Parol is approved. If the I-131 is approved then if the I -485 is pending then you are ok to travel outside the U.S. But if the I-131 is not approved you cannot depart the U.S.