Can I transfer from F-1 visa to green card through marriage? 8 Answers as of April 09, 2014

I am a student on F-1 visa, and I will be marrying a US citizen in a week. Does this qualify as an adjustment of status and how long should it take to get each, green card and work permit? Thank you.

Yes, you can apply for adjustment of status once you are legally married.
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC
Havens & Lichtenberg PLLC | Michael Lichtenberg
If your have no disqualifications for adjustment of status; if you spouse files an immigrant petition for you, and all the paperwork is done right; if your spouse has sufficient income to file an affidavit of support (or finds a co-sponsor); and if your background does not trigger a prolonged security check, then you can expect to have an employment card within 3 - 3.5 months from the date of filing, and a green card - before the year is over.
Law Offices of Rizwan M. Khalid
Law Offices of Rizwan M. Khalid | Rizwan Khalid
Yes, it is possible. Contact an immigration attorney to discuss your specific facts.
You will be able to adjustment of status after marriage. You will receive employment authorization within 60-90 days of filing the package assuming all the initial evidence is submitted and you appear for biometrics. Your application for adjustment of status will be adjudicated in 5-8 months.
Rivas-Rivera Law Offices
Rivas-Rivera Law Offices | Juan Ramon Rivas-Rivera
Yes you can get petitioned by soon to be US citizen wife. And since you entered legally you can stay un the US while the proceedings are pending. Along with the petition, an adjustment of status and a employment authorization form are filed together. The work permit will arrive well before your green card. So, the sooner you file the sooner you will be able to work.
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law
    Richard S. Kolomejec, Attorney at Law | Richard S. Kolomejec
    Yes. You can apply for adjustment of status. It takes about two months for a work permit and three months for a green card.
    Coane and Associates
    Coane and Associates | Bruce Coane
    If otherwise eligible, certainly an F-1 student marrying a USA citizen can apply for a green card. In Houston it takes about 4 months right nor, and the work permit takes about 60 days.