Can I terminate my ex's parental rights? 16 Answers as of May 06, 2011

My daughters biological father has had nothing to do with her since has been born. He doesnt support her in any way. Is there any way for his rights to be terminated?

Generally the courts don't want to take away a child's parent. The cases are fact specific. Depending on the amount of time involved, your odds would vary. Ultimately, the court's decision is based on the child's best interests. Stay well.
Abandonment is a ground for termination.

There are (if I recall correctly) 16 grounds for termination, you need only plead and prove one of them. Leaving the child alone without adequate support for a period of time is one of the grounds.

That said, you have an issue to consider. Why do you want to do this? The Court will ask. Do you have a justifiable reason? Termination is not something the court will grant just because you want it, you have to have a reason and the reason must be for your child's benefit.
Bivek Brubaker and Prescott LLC
Bivek Brubaker and Prescott LLC | Damon Bivek
Yes, you can Petition the Juvenile Court in the county where the the child resides to terminate the biological father's parental rights.
Not unless there is someone prepared to adopt the child.
It is difficult but can be done, hire a family law attorney to assist you.
    Fox Law Firm LLC
    Fox Law Firm LLC | Tina Fox
    It depends on the reasoning for your wanting to terminate his rights, i.e. are you wanting a present husband to adopt her? I encourage to call our office to discuss this matter in a more private setting.
    Arnold & Wadsworth
    Arnold & Wadsworth | Brian Arnold
    There are ways to do this in Utah. There are certain laws and statutes that control such. We are Arnold & Wadsworth, Utah Divorce Lawyers. We can help you with your divorce needs. We offer free consultations. Give us a call today.
    Find someone to assume his responsibilities i.e. adopt your child. The State doesn't want the child to be down to one parent.
    Yes but you will have to go to court. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the first office visit. I know people worry about how expensive a lawyer is, so I am careful to be as inexpensive as I can for my clients. Before you spend a dime, you will know how much this is likely to be.
    you can seek to terminate parental rights in Probate Court. If he consents the process will go faster. You will relinquish the right to child support from him. You can contact our office if you wish to discuss further.
    Probably. The court might not want to, however, if there isn't another parent there to step in as dad.
    It may be difficult or impossible to terminate the father's parental rights without a stepfather's petitioning the Court to adopt your daughter and your proving that your daughter's biological father has not provided any support for her and has not contacted her in over one year. However, there was a recent California Appellate Court opinion that allowed a custodial parent to terminate the biological father's parental rights without an adoption, so there is a possibility, but no assurance, that you can terminate bio-dad's parental rights without a step-parent adoption.
    Yes, possibly. It is a bit complicated. You did not say how old your daughter is, but you can definitely move to terminate the father's parental rights due to abandonment (you need at least a year of no contact). It is no slam dunk, though. You would have to file the appropriate motion in Family Law court (Order to Show Cause), with several forms. Consult your local Clerk's Office. You may be able to speak with a Court Facilitator, who will assist you with the forms.
    Attorney Paul Lancia
    Attorney Paul Lancia | Paul Lancia
    To terminate parental rights you need to file a petition with the court and notify your ex.

If you have questions, call me for a free consultation, 24/7.
    An action can be filed to involuntarily terminate parental rights. Most states include basis for such a termination to occur including abandonment of the child which occurs when the parent does not see the child or provide financial support. If the action is contested, it must be resolved in a trial.