Can I tell the Detective that I am not comfortable that is guilty of anything and I do not wish to work with them? 9 Answers as of March 25, 2013

The City Police called me when my 16 son had drug paraphernalia on him but they are charging the driver who is over 21, with Child Endangerment. I know his friend well and he is the one that got my son away from the druggies but obviously slipped. He saw his girlfriend and they got into a fight so he took his weed pipe and hers. He called his friend who is over 21 because he was stranded and it was winter and now the Police are charging his friend with Child Endangerment. They tried for an hour to get him to say the paraphernalia belonged to his friend but he never did. He told me later where the two pipes came from and his friend that was the driver had no idea. They want to talk to me about what I think. I can tell they have it for his friend and it was my son's poor choice.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
You do not have to talk to the police if you do not want to do so. Your son can testify at the trial for the other person.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/25/2013
Attorney at Law | Ernest Krause
The 21 year old has a Public Defender (or he is paying lots of money for a private attorney). He needs a lawyer. In the meantime you don't have to talk to the police. Say the 21 year old is charged with a serious crime and you want the police to deal with the 21 year old through his attorney. Neither you nor your son has to talk to the police about anything. Be sure you don't write anything on the internet any more or talk to ANYONE about this.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/25/2013
Edward  D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law
Edward D. Dowling IV Attorney at Law | Edward D. Dowling IV
I would need further information to answer . You should consul an attorney and disclose all the facts and circumstances.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 3/22/2013
William L. Welch, III Attorney | William L. Welch, III
You may either talk or not talk to anyone whom you please, including the police. Regardless of whether you talk or what you say, the police might charge someone with a crime, regardless of whether that person has in fact broken the law. An attorney can assist you with evaluating the prosecution's case, any defenses that you might have, and any plea offer that might be made, so that you can decide whether to plea bargain or go to trial. If you were to be found guilty, then an attorney can assist you with presenting mitigation, allocation, and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. and a recommendation for a more lenient sentence. Consider seeking a confidential consultation with an experienced criminal defense attorney. Beware that online posts are not confidential. If somehow the prosecution were to find your post, then it might be used in evidence against you.
Answer Applies to: Maryland
Replied: 3/22/2013
Law Office of Jeff Yeh
Law Office of Jeff Yeh | Jeff Yeh
Not only is it okay, it is the best choice you can make. You have the right to remain silent, and should NEVER be talking to a detective on your own.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/21/2013
    Henry Lebensbaum | Henry Lebensbaum
    You should speak to a lawyer first.
    Answer Applies to: Massachusetts
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    Lawrence Lewis
    Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
    You can tell the detectives whatever you want, then they will make a decision based on your decision. Hopefully everyone can live with the decisions that are made.
    Answer Applies to: Georgia
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    Law Office of Joseph A. Katz
    Law Office of Joseph A. Katz | Joseph A. Katz
    Let your son testify for his adult friend, clearly.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/21/2013
    Rizio & Nelson
    Rizio & Nelson | John W. Bussman
    You can tell them whatever you want. Of course, you don't get to decide whether or not this guy is going to be charged with a crime. Even the cops don't get to decide that. The cops will gather as much evidence as they can, then they'll write up some detailed reports. They'll submit their reports to the DA and the DA will decide who is going to be accused of a crime. Since you are not a party to the case, you're not a victim, you're not even a witness, they really don't care how you feel (unfortunately). If you really want to help this guy, hire him a lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 3/21/2013
Click to View More Answers: