Can I take myself off of the Megan's Law website? 7 Answers as of August 04, 2011

In 1999 I plead no contest to a 288 against my step daughter. I am being told, I do not have to appear on Megan's Law Web site and possibly no longer have to register. True or False? If true, how do I get started on getting off.

Lowenstein Law Office
Lowenstein Law Office | Anthony Lowenstein
It depends on several factors.
Either contact a certified criminal law specialist to assist you or contact the Department of Justice if you want to attempt to do it yourself.
For any sex act with a child you will have to register for life. Megans law gets the information on you from the registration records and you cannot influence them to take your name off the list.
Law Office of Edward J. Blum
Law Office of Edward J. Blum | Edward J. Blum
It depends. It depends on the facts specific to your case. In 2006, the Hofsheier case held that 290 registration violated the equal protection clause of the constitution because it called for registration for oral copulation with a 16 year old, but no registration for intercourse with someone the same age. The Hofsheier court held that anyone effected by 290 registration could have a hearing in the sentencing court to determine whether they should be subject to the discretionary registration requirements of 290.006. So if your case involves consensual sex with a 16-17 year old, you may be eligible to be removed from the reporting requirements. A clean record subsequent to the incident for which registration was required is a big plus. Call me, I can help you with this.
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC
Law Offices of Martina A. Vigil, PC | Martina A. Vigil
You still have to register if this is a condition of your guilty plea from 1999. You can be taken off is if you receive a certificate of rehabilitation. Unfortunately, certificates of rehabilitation are unavailable to 288 convictions. You can apply for a gubernatorial pardon and which relieves your mandatory registration. An attorney should do this for you since it is a tricky process that takes some persuasive argument.
    Registration and full address listing are the consequences of PC288. However, IF, IF, your conviction and history fits the following description, you may be able to apply for exclusion from the internet listing requirement, meaning your name would be removed from the internet list. 1. you were the victim's parent, stepparent, sibling, or grandparent; 2. the crime did not involve either oral copulation or any type of penetration; 3. successful completion of probation, or still on probation. 4. never been adjudicated a sexually violent predator pursuant to Welfare and Institutions Code 6600, et seq.; 5. during your probation, you did not receive additional incarceration time for a violation or probation, nor convicted of another offense resulting in a sentence to county jail or state prison. You would have to provide a copy of the probation report, pre-sentence report, report prepared pursuant to PC section 288.1, or court documentation that demonstrates all the above facts. If successful, you would still be covered by the lifetime requirement to register, and to comply with all other applicable laws pertaining to your registered status. If serious about trying to obtain this relief, feel free to contact me for the legal help youll need.
    The Chastaine Law Office
    The Chastaine Law Office | Michael Chastaine
    Under certain circumstances you can be removed from the Megan's law website. However, that would not impact your duty to register. That is a separate issue. I would be happy to look at all of those issue for you if you want to give me a call. The consultation is $250. What it will cost after that will be determined based upon what we can do for you.