Can I take my kids out of the country if my marriage is not working? 17 Answers as of May 10, 2011

Is there a way to be able to take my kids to my home country if I want to leave my husband who is an US citizen kids were born in US? Marriage isn’t working at all and I want to go to my country to get the help I need for my health. I take care of my kids, not my husband. What can I do? He tells me to go back and leave my kids but I worry about their health and safety. Please help?

No, you cannot take the kids out of the country without his permission. For one moment, put aside the divorce issue, the airlines will not let your children travel internationally without a passport and an international travel authorization. Your husband has to sign for the passport, which the children may already have, but even if they do, he has to sign a notarized international travel authorization before the airlines will issue boarding passes. Practically, it does not matter what the law says in this regard, the Airlines do not want to be brought into your divorce issues, so they protect themselves in the course of business. Your only option is to get the Court to authorized the travel - ie: get a divorce, custody, and no geographic restriction. That is a pretty tall order to fill unless you meet some specific standards.
You would have to petition the court to relocate the children.
No way you can take them if your husband does not consent to it. It is a felony to withhold custody of a USC in a foreign country. You will be charged with kidnapping, a terrible, terrible crime. Put this out of your mind and do not even entertain the thought of doing it. There is absolutely nothing you can do without his consent other than to be granted full sole legal custody of your children by an US court. No, don't do it. Good luck!
Law Office of John C. Volz
Law Office of John C. Volz | John C. Volz
No, you may not take the kids out of the country without the permission of the courts or your husband. If you wish to move away, then you need to file for dissolution and seek custody of your children and permission to leave the country with them.
Unless there is an order in place prohibiting travel, either party can travel with the children. Stay well.
    File for divorce. Get permission to take the kids to your country. Good luck.
    If your marriage is not working, these are issues to present to the Divorce Court. If you are granted sole custody of your children, you would have the best chance of the Court approving your sought move-away, whereas if your husband is awarded what amounts to joint custody of your children and/or if he demonstrates to the Court's satisfaction that the move away would be detrimental to the children, your chances of having the Court approving the move away would be diminished. You should retain an experienced Family Law Attorney to represent you in the divorce.
    Generally, obtaining passports for children or traveling with children outside the US requires the approval of both parents.
    You need his consent or a court order.
    Beresford Booth PLLC
    Beresford Booth PLLC | S. Scott Burkhalter
    You should not leave the Country without your husband's consent or a Court order (e.g., in divorce proceedings).
    If you have no court order allowing the travel, it can be blocked. Ultimately, the divorce will occur in the country where you reside. In that proceeding, you may seek custody and to relocate to your home country.
    You need a divorce attorney. Give me a call, make an appointment to come see me, and let's get moving on this for you. No charge for the first office visit. I know people worry about how expensive a lawyer is, so I am careful to be as inexpensive as I can for my clients. Before you spend a dime, you will know how much this is likely to be.
    Law Offices of Thomas P. Miller
    Law Offices of Thomas P. Miller | Thomas P. Miller
    Generally speaking, both parents must consent to their minor child's international travel. If you are talking about moving permanently with your minor children, numerous local (state), federal and international laws may apply, and failing to follow appropriate procedure can cause you to be charged with abduction or kidnapping. You really need to consult with a family law attorney in your jurisdiction (state).
    Seattle Divorce Services
    Seattle Divorce Services | Michael V. Fancher
    There are issues here that you may need to discuss with an immigration attorney. Since your children are US citizens, you may need to find out what the rules are with regard to them entering and remaining in your home country. If you don't already have passports for the children, you will likely need the signature of both parents to obtain passports. Assuming this is a Washington case, in order to obtain court orders determining whether the children are to live with your or your husband, you will need to start a divorce or legal separation action and obtain a temporary or permanent parenting plan.
    US citizen can live in any country without losing their citizenship. It won't hurt your kids if you take them out of the country.