Can I take the father of my unborn child to court for abandonment? 6 Answers as of March 26, 2014

So to summarize, I caught my boyfriend with drugs. I had no choice but to throw him out. He didn't just leave he vanished, leaving me 4 months pregnant, broke and homeless. I'm wondering if I can take him to court for abandonment of his responsibilities before my baby is born. I'm not the one that chose drugs and I had no choice but to protect my family. Can anyone give me any type of advice on this situation please?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
James M. Chandler | James M. Chandler
No but you can file a paternity action for support.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/26/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
No, you cannot. He has no obligation until the baby is born. One it is born and you don't hear from him, you could ask to have his rights terminated. That probably won't happen though because unless you are financially secure and can provide for the baby yourself, there will be a need for child support. The court won't terminate the rights if it looks like child support will be needed.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 3/25/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
You need to see an attorney, what is your goal? Support? Expenses? To eliminate his influence?
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 3/25/2014
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
The best approach would be to file and serve the paternity action on your ex with a motion requesting support as well as supervised visitation in light of his drug use.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 3/25/2014
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC
Law Office of Annette M. Cox, PLLC | Annette M. Cox
No not before your child is born. You will need to consider whether to notify him of the birth. Whether you attempt to involve him in the child's life will affect whether later on you can claim he abandoned the child. It will also impact custody and child support issues.
Answer Applies to: Arizona
Replied: 3/25/2014
    John Russo | John Russo
    There is nothing you can do until the child is born, and then all you can do is petition the court for child support. He has no obligation to you, only the child and that begins after birth.
    Answer Applies to: Rhode Island
    Replied: 3/25/2014
Click to View More Answers: