Can I switch divorce attorneys before it is finalized? 5 Answers as of November 17, 2010

Can I switch divorce attorneys before it is finalized? Been going on for 4 months and I am very unhappy with counsel. It has been stalling and not responding to me quickly and wont take my payments. What can I do? Can I switch midway before it is over or does that hurt the case?

Yes you can switch attorneys and it will not have any effect on your case.
Goldberg Jones
Goldberg Jones | Zephyr Hill
Yes you can. It will take your new attorney a very short while to get up to speed and if you current attorney has completely shut you down, it sounds like you should. I would be happy to give you a second opinion if you would like. Call me and I will be glad to discuss your options with us.
Law Office of Teresa Beyers
Law Office of Teresa Beyers | Teresa Ann Beyers
Yes, you may always change attorneys if you are not satisfied. I am in the office today if you wish to discuss.
A client is entitled to fire their attorney at anytime for any reason.

Regarding your question about whether firing your attorney will help or hurt your case, it is hard to answer that without knowing more facts. If you are having a problem with your lawyer, the first thing you should do is discuss your concerns that are causing you to want to terminate him/her, including whether switching lawyers at the current stage of your case will cause you problems. You are also free to call another lawyer at anytime to discuss your case, and what he or she can do for you.