Can I sue the testing company and the state department of education if I passed the exam but my papers are nowhere to be found? 1 Answers as of July 03, 2015

I recently passed my teacher certification exam in April. It is now June 26 and state is saying they have not received my exam scores. They are saying that they have sent it twice. The state is saying they don't have it. No one wants to help. The state refuses to allow me to mail in or email my test scores to them. In the meantime, I have lost the teaching position I had because my certification did not come through. My student loans are incurring interest and I can't afford it. I have no income for the summer. There is way more details to this situation, but I really do need an attorney. I can't even start to look for a job because of this mess. I am a single mother who needs to support her family.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
You can't sue for the loss of income, the damages are considered "remote" and "specuative" (I know that to you they aren't but that's how it's looked at legally). You might be able to sue the testing company for "specific performance", that is, getting the scores to the state, and possibly bring an "Article 78 proceeding" to compel the state to process the application. Hopefully, it woun't come to that, perhaps a few letters and phone calls from a lawyer can straighten it out.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 7/3/2015
Click to View More Answers: