Can I sue a store for my fall even though I took no immediate action before? 16 Answers as of August 27, 2015

Over the weekend I fell, twisting my ankle, while grocery shopping at a local store. A freezer was dripping, and had caused a puddle on the floor. There was no caution sign anywhere nearby. An employee called a manager to tell them about what had happened. They got the manager, and she apologized and offered me a gift certificate to their store. Now, my ankle really swollen and is not getting better. Can I sue the store now to help me pay for my doctors visits?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
Yes. You need to get a good lawyer who can help you contact the store and tell them that you want to file a claim immediately. The sooner, the better.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 6/23/2015
Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
You need to speak with a personal injury lawyer. There is a lot of evidence that maybe destroyed due to delay. Regardless speak with a personal injury attorney quickly.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/22/2015
Law Offices of Ronald A. Steinberg & Associates | Ronald A. Steinberg, BA, MA, JD
I hope that you took pictures showing the leaking. You can sue,but I would suggest that you consult with a lawyer because there may be problems looming in the future directly related to the fall.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/22/2015
Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
Go to the doctor and get treatment. The the doctor office that it was a slip and fall in a store. Submit medical bill to the store. They should cover your medical bills.
Answer Applies to: Utah
Replied: 6/22/2015
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
If you can show the store knew or should have known of the leak, you may have a case. Consider consulting an experienced injury lawyer. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 6/19/2015
    Law Ofices of Edwin K. Niles | Edwin K. Niles
    Yes, but slip and fall cases are fraught with difficulties. You would be much better off with an experienced injury lawyer.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/19/2015
    Richard B. Jacobson & Associates, LLC | Richard B. Jacobson
    You probably can sue unless your carelessness in stepping where you did exceeded the store's carelessness in letting the puddle happen and not promptly cleaning it up. This looks like a very small claim, however, and you might reasonably ask yourself whether you want to go to the botheration and expense of suing the store unless of course your damages are larger than they appear from your question.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 6/19/2015
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
    That would be a yes.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 8/27/2015
    S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
    You can still file suit. You have two years from the date of the injury to file a personal injury suit in Pennsylvania.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 6/19/2015
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
    Probably. There?s bad law in Michigan for slip and falls ? if the danger was ?open and obvious,? then you can?t sue. But, the video (I?d guess there?s a store video) probably won?t show the danger, just you slipping, so this could help you.
    Answer Applies to: Michigan
    Replied: 6/19/2015
    Law Offices of George H. Shers | George H. Shers
    Yes, but first you try to settle with the store before taking any legal action. ?Your case is not worth much and all you can hope to get is reimbursement for medical bills, any wage loss, transportation expenses for the medical treatment, and a very small amount for pain and suffering.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 6/19/2015
    Ferguson & Ferguson
    Ferguson & Ferguson | Randy W. Ferguson
    In Alabama you might be able to recover against the store. Talk to an attorney.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 6/19/2015
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You can sue for far more including pain and suffering and emotional distress.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 6/19/2015
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    The first thing you need is proof of the water and the names of the employees. Generally, if you could prove the freezer was leaking for a period of time and ignored by the store's staff, then negligence would be proven. Continue treating with your doctors. You have three years to file a lawsuit.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Replied: 6/19/2015
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    It would be in your best interest to get a consultation from an attorney that handles injury cases to see if you have a possible claim. It sounds like you would have a case against the grocery store, but it would be helpful to review all of the facts of your case.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 6/19/2015
    Boesen Law, LLC
    Boesen Law, LLC | Joseph J. Fraser III
    Yes, you have time (2 years) to file a suit. However, since the situation was acknowledged by a manager, you might just start back there. If you don't get a cooperative response, then file a complaint in court.
    Answer Applies to: Colorado
    Replied: 6/19/2015
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney