Can I sue a store for defamation of character? Posted on June 01, 2011

I was wrongfully accused from stealing from a store that I regularly shop at. The manager approached asked me to open my bag due the manner she approached me I requested that the police be present before I do. We went back and forth for a while. I got very upset and left. I went to the police station and made a report the same day. Called the store corporate office a day later and reported the incident to the store district manager. The following week to my surprise my neighbor who and I shopped at the store at times questioned me about the incident she had been told of the incident while shopping the day after the incident occurred by one of the store employees. Needless to say I have never stolen anything from anyone in my life. This accusation has spread and is causing my family and I a great deal of embarrassment and has put my character in jeopardy. I would like to know could I sue the store for defamation of character? And what is the stature of limitation for me to sue?