Can I sue the state for charging me for the same crime twice? 12 Answers as of June 27, 2013

I was arrested and did 90 days before the arraignment. Two weeks, later I was picked up again for the same crime but on a different court.

James M. Osak, P.C.
James M. Osak, P.C. | James M. Osak
It's possible that you may have a CIVIL action for FALSE ARREST if the State messed up and re-arrested you for the SAME crime. Talk to a CIVIL RIGHTS ATTORNEY. Start with the lawyers on this site.
Hamblin Law Office | Sally Hamblin
Are you sure it is the same crime, but a different time or day of the previous one? Why the different court, one must ask. You would not sue the state.
Law Office of Mark Bruce
Law Office of Mark Bruce | Mark Corwin Bruce
If it is the same set of facts on the same date, then you can only be charged once. That is "double jeopardy." You need to let the lawyers handling your cases know of the competing cases.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq.
Law & Mediation Office of Jeffrey L. Pollock, Esq. | Jeffrey Lawrence Pollock
You can request to have the cases consolidated or file a Motion for a Dismissal of one of them.
Reza Athari & Associates, PLLC | Seth L. Reszko
Suing the state usually involves that the state acted maliciously towards you, rather than making a mistake in arresting you again for the same crime. You also need to have this second case dismissed on the grounds of double jeopardy to really give you any chance to recover in a lawsuit, but these are very difficult cases to be successful.
    Cannot be the same charge.
    Possibily you could but I would need all the facts before I could make any determination of this issue
    No.
    It may be that the crime you committed began in one county, and finished in another county, like a fleeing charge, or multiple traffic offenses going from one county to another, and each county is pressing charges against you.
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A
    R. Jason de Groot, P.A | R. Jason de Groot
    Probably not. We do not know what the charges were, and whether they were brought in juvenile court and transferred to adult court, or what the facts are. It is surprising to learn that you did not have an arraignment for 90 days. That is way too long for an initial charge. First appearance has to take place shortly after an arrest if someone is in custody.
    Not likely to be able to win.