Can I sue someone who abused my son? 1 Answers as of March 29, 2011

My son was abused by my sister and her husband. He is 15, and has spent most of the last 8 years in hospitals, and institutions. He is currently a resident (again) at an adolescent psychiatric hospital. His diagnosis is Post Traumatic Stress Disorder from the abuse. I have filed bankruptcy, lost a house and a car(repossessed), and been forced to temporarily give up custody of my son to the state as I can no longer afford to pay for the medical attention he needs. Since the bankruptcy, I owe somewhere around another $10,000 in medical bills. Can I sue my sister (who lives in Virginia Beach) to recoup some of the losses and to help pay off the balance?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
Absolutely. However, the cause of action will determine how long you have to sue. If you want to sue them for the assault you must do so within two years. If you want to sue them under other causes of action, most causes allow 5 years to file suit.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 3/29/2011
Click to View More Answers: