Can I sue someone for unpaid rent, both of our names are on the lease but I never stayed a day in the apartment? 7 Answers as of September 27, 2012

He wanted me to help out because he couldn't get the apartment alone.

Park Law Offices LLC | Kevin Parks
You likely can proceed with a suit against such an individual. It's unclear whether or not you'd win, or whether it makes economic sense to do so, but given the likely damages involved it may make sense to pursue such a claim in your county small claims court.
Victor Varga | Victor Varga
Why would you sue for unpaid rent? That's what the Landlord does.
Yes, you can sue for any reason but you will have the burden of proving your case.
Law Office of Bijal Jani | Bijal Jani
Yes, you can sue for the unpaid rent since you are both obligated under the lease.
Perhaps. I assume he did not pay the rent and you signed the lease as an accommodation. If you were both one the lease, and he paid half of the rent it will be more difficult. Depending on the amount of money involved, see an attorney or attempt to collect in small claims.
    Harris, Yug & Ohlinger
    Harris, Yug & Ohlinger | Roberta Ohlinger-Johnson
    Sure if you ended up having to pay the rent.
    Havens Law, LLC
    Havens Law, LLC | William Havens Nebeker
    Yes you can. Unless specified in the lease otherwise, the person you are suing is jointly and severally liable on the lease and thus liable to you for his/her portion of the rent. You can sue for the money or eject him/her from the apartment or both. To discuss your options further, call in for a free consultation.