Can I sue someone for touching my food? 3 Answers as of July 24, 2017

I'm in class right now, and my friend decided it would be a good idea to knock my goldfish over. The food, not the animal. How dare she? Can I sue for violation of personal property? Is there a goldfish clause in the constitution?

James Sterling Lawrence, Attorney at Law | James Sterling Lawrence
You can do it but it makes no economic sense. The filing fee alone is more than the cost of the food, and you would have to go to court several times. You would have to prove guilt, and might not succeed in that.
Downriver Injury and Auto Law | Michael Heilmann
You do not have any damages. There fore you cannot sue.
Don't you have something better to do? Technically, that would constitute a tort, or civil wrong. So, go to small claims court, pay the filing fee, file a complaint for assault and battery on your goldfish, pay a process server to serve the pleadings, and then spend a morning in court waiting for the case to be called, so that you can try your case.