Can I sue someone for defamation of character if a person wrote a statement about me on a public discussion? 14 Answers as of January 08, 2014

The person said I have a drug house and that I sell drugs. Which is absolutely false.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Kirby G. Moss PC | Kirby G. Moss
You could sue for this. Damages and collecting them would be another matter.
Answer Applies to: Indiana
Replied: 1/7/2014
David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
May be consult a lawyer now, as this is a complex problem.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 1/8/2014
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
Yes, you can sue for libel. Of course if the person has no money, it may cost you more than you can recover.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 1/7/2014
Michael Breczinski
Michael Breczinski | Michael Breczinski
Yes you can sue them for slander and libel.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/7/2014
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
You certainly can sue. There is no insurance that covers this sort of thing so make sure she has assets you can get to to satisfy a judgment.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 1/7/2014
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
    James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
    Yes. Falsely accusing someone of a crime in writing is libel.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 1/7/2014
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    Yes you can, but you need to show damages.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 1/8/2014
    The Memmen Law Firm, LLC
    The Memmen Law Firm, LLC | Alexander Memmen
    You might be able to sue them, if you can prove who made the statement and if the statement was false. But why would you bother? A defamation case would cost you thousands of dollars in attorney fees and it is very likely the person who made the statement would not be able to pay a judgment anyway. Consult a local attorney if you want to proceed, but keep the costs in mind.
    Answer Applies to: Illinois
    Replied: 1/7/2014
    Lombardi Law Firm
    Lombardi Law Firm | Steve Lombardi
    Yes you can sue, but winning is another thing altogether. First can you prove who wrote the statement? Second, I assume you can prove it is false. Third, can you prove the statement was published? I believe you can based on what you've said. Fourth, can you prove who read the statements? And if you can then how has your character actually been damaged? Do you have other things online that are worse? In other words how will you prove your good name and character have been altered and damaged? These are interesting cases but proving them can be very difficult.
    Answer Applies to: Iowa
    Replied: 1/7/2014
    Law Office of James E. Smith
    Law Office of James E. Smith | James Smith
    Yes, if you have damages.
    Answer Applies to: Nevada
    Replied: 1/8/2014
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
    Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
    You can, but you also have to be able to prove that the person knew it was false when the statement was published.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 1/7/2014
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney