Can I sue someone for abusing my son online? 5 Answers as of February 14, 2014

My son's truck was reposed recently. I have read the contract and as far as I know, it is a legal contract. This is where it gets different. The individual who reposed the truck first took the vehicle to a friends house where he posed with the truck taking pictures of him and said vehicle. He then posted these photos online and tagged my son in the pictures. Saying that he just got reposed using very offensive language. I went to the page and told the person that this was a private matter and those pictures were posted illegally and this was a private matter and not to be posted on social media. He then started using very profane language with me telling me how stupid I was with plenty of awful words to go with it. What are my options? Can I sue for the online activity? This was also done with a deputy watching the entire thing.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lawrence Lewis
Lawrence Lewis | Lawrence Lewis, PC
Your grown-ass son cannot be abused on-line. Abuse by its very definition means that there is physical contact. Physical abuse means being struck. Sexual abuse means sexual contact. Mental abuse involves torture or some other metal stress than cannot be avoided. All your son needs to do is turn the computer off. Social media is like alcohol, it is not for everyone.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 2/14/2014
Michael K. Cernyar, Esq. | Michael K. Cernyar
Absolutely. It's called harassment. Look at my web page If you have any further questions call me toll free at 855-Mr-Cyber-Law. I wish you both the best.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 1/31/2014
Ascheman & Smith | Landon Ascheman
Nothing you have said would give you the right to sue. It may be socially inappropriate, mean, and rude, but it's not illegal.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 1/31/2014
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
He is allowed to speak his opinion and tell the truth. Being crass and profane is generally not actionable. I do not believe your description defines a cause of action, just despicable behavior.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 1/31/2014
Cavaleri & DeMarco | Alexander DeMarco
No. You can't sue for that.
Answer Applies to: Minnesota
Replied: 1/31/2014
Click to View More Answers: