Can I sue someone after they burglarized my house? 2 Answers as of March 11, 2011

Can I sue the parent of a 17yr old or the 17yr old himself if my home was burglarized? The burglary took place in October 2010.The minor is now 18 and has an extensive police record. I need help figuring out what my rights are. All of my valuable possessions were stolen.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Timothy J. Thill P.C.
Timothy J. Thill P.C. | Timothy J. Thill
This question involves a civil cause of action, wherein you would sue the defendant and/or his parents. I concentrate in criminal cases, which are the government suing the defendant, for a criminal sentence such as probation or jail time. I do believe, however, there is a parental responsibility law in effect in Illinois, which would give you standing to sue the defendant and his parents, but I am not certain how much liability either of them will have. I advise you to contact an attorney who concentrates in civil lawsuits. You may also be able to recover some monies from your homeowner's insurance company, as well.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 3/11/2011
Click to View More Answers: