Can I sue a school for losing track of my 6 year old son? 5 Answers as of February 27, 2011

My 6 year old left school and walked home without the school knowing. When a lady spotted my son, she called the school and the assistant principle told her to return him to the school, which she did not do. She followed him home.

David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
I doubt it.
David B. Sacks, P.A.
David B. Sacks, P.A. | David Sacks
Not that I know of. As far as I know, generally speaking, the law does not provide a remedy when there are no damages, however, specifically, that type of issue is far beyond my areas of practice.
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
Maybe but there may not be any damages. I would recommend calling an attorney.
The Umansky Law Firm
The Umansky Law Firm | William D. Umansky
While you might be able to sue, it would be highly unlikely a lawyer would take your case because the damages are so low. Thankfully, your son was found ok and healthy by all accounts. It might be a different matter if something did happen to him.
Why would you want to sue them if your son is OK? You would not be able to find an attorney who would handle that on a contingent fee basis and you would pay far more to an attorney on an hourly basis than what you would ever be awarded. Just contact the school board and file a formal complaint.