Can I sue the property owner if their tenant did not tell them they had a dog that bit me? How? 13 Answers as of August 27, 2015

Can I sue the property owner if their tenant did not tell them they had a dog that bit me?

James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
You can sue the dog owner and the landlord..whether you will win is a different matter.
Candiano Law Office
Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
What were your injuries and how did it happen?
You can only sue the property owner if they were negligent. ?Owning the property does not mean the owner insures everyone who comes onto it will be paid for any injuries they suffer, no matter what. ?If the landlord did not know of the dog and could not reasonably have known, why should they be at fault? ?You do not state if the incident occurred on the property or not [if not, it would be difficult to show any fault on the landlord's part].
Pius Joseph A Professional Law Corp. | Pius Joseph
Generally your claim is against the owner of the dog. The property owner having no knowledge of the dog may have no liability unless the property owner kept the dog for owners benefit.
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
Not successfully. Your claim will be dismissed.
Answer Applies to: Montana
    After the fact, the landlord cannot be held responsible because he had no means to prevent it from happening. However, if you can prove that the landlord should have known that the tenants had a vicious dog and had an opportunity to demand that they get rid of it or evict them before you were bitten, then you can sue him for his failure to do so.
    That would be a no.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You can certainly try and you do have a claim against the dog owner but generally a property owner that does not know of the dog will not be found to have fault.
    Most probably not. How could the landlord be liable for something they know nothing about? Generally a you would sue the owner of the dog for the damages which you caused.
    Joseph Kelly Levasseur, Esq.
    Joseph Kelly Levasseur, Esq. | Joseph Kelly Levasseur
    This has been answered already. Like twenty times. I think all you do is post questions all day long? What's up with that?
    What did the owner do? You will not succeed unless the owner was negligent in some way.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    Normally, the owner of the dog (the tenant in this case) would be responsible for injuries from a dog bite. Do you know if the tenant has renter's insurance? It might be possible to make a claim against the landlord, but it would require a review of all of the facts of your case.
    I think this is a follow-up to a question answered earlier this week. How could you find the owner negligent if his tenant did not disclose the presence of the dog? Unless he knew of the dog some other way.... It doesn't sound like much of a case. Since you have a good many questions, you may wish to consult a personal injury lawyer, who can take the time to review all the facts with you. Good Luck.