Can I sue the police for excessive use of force against my husband? 1 Answers as of November 11, 2014

I called for an ambulance for my husband, who has bipolar disorder, because he was suicidal. The police arrived, and my husband was sitting on a pile of wood in our yard. They charged at him with guns drawn, and yelled get down on the ground. He complied by getting on his knees. He wasn't being threatening. They hit him with a stun gun 7 times, then took him to the ER, where the police officer hit him again with the stun gun because my husband is afraid of needles, and didn't want his blood drawn. He now has post traumatic stress disorder as well.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
You certainly can sue but can you prove excessive force. The police will testify that the force was necessary. So, how do you prove it? You should tell your story to the police chief or to internal affairs in your police dept has one.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 11/11/2014
Click to View More Answers: