Can I sue my workers comp attorney? 8 Answers as of June 18, 2013

My lawyer and his firm may have cause some of my work injuries sustained worse than before. I believe his firm are not handling my case professionally or legally. I believe they have inexperienced representatives and lawyers. I caught them in several lies.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Office of Jack Longert, LLC | Jack Longert
This is potentially a legal malpractice situation. If you have suffered damages, and can prove they were caused by your attorney's action, there is a possibility.
Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
Replied: 6/18/2013
Rowlett Law | Catherine Rowlett
Yes, you can sue. However, to prevail you will have to show professional negligence by the firm. You may want to find another WC attorney in your area and ask him whether the conduct you experienced was typical. Ensure there is no conflict (ie. they are friends) prior to any discussion. I do not handle WC. If his work is below the standard, and you sustain damages therefrom, you may have a legal malpractice claim.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 6/17/2013
Law Office of Burke & Fournet
Law Office of Burke & Fournet | Cooper Fournet
Yes you can sue an attorney for legal malpractice but you must show that they made a mistake and that but for them making that mistake you would have won your case.
Answer Applies to: Louisiana
Replied: 6/17/2013
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC
Musilli Brennan Associates PLLC | John F Brennan
You might have a suit, but more likely you should hire a different attorney and firm more to your liking if the matter is not yet adjudicated. Seek a second opinion.
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 6/17/2013
Yes, you may sue your lawyer. Will you win? You will have to prove that their actions caused your injuries. They can defend that their actions did not. You likely will go to trial. If you do this, get an attorney. It is just about impossible for an un-represented party to bring one of these. There are technical requirements that must be submitted with the suit, when filed.
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/17/2013
    KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
    You can, but that may not be successful. I suggest you make a complaint to the Bar Association.
    Answer Applies to: Mississippi
    Replied: 6/17/2013
    Barton Barton & Plotkin
    Barton Barton & Plotkin | Maurice Ross
    This question cannot be answered because it contains accusations, but no facts to support them. It is hard to understand how you can blame your lawyer for work injuries. If you are unhappy with your lawyer, then you should retain another lawyer in confidence to provide a second opinion. Chances are that your problem relates to the strength of your case rather than your lawyer's conduct.
    Answer Applies to: New York
    Replied: 6/17/2013
    Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
    You need to contact an attorney who handles legal malpractice claims and possibly another worker's compensation attorney to evaluate your potential case.
    Answer Applies to: Wisconsin
    Replied: 6/17/2013
Click to View More Answers: