Can I sue my roommate for using my identification to withdraw over a grand from my bank account? 20 Answers as of August 27, 2015

My roommate stole my wallet in October, then again in November and used my ID to pose as me at the bank and stole over $1000 dollars from me. He was arrested this morning, but can I sue him and take further action for identity theft? I never got my ID back that he stole.

See website for info on pressing charges:
You can. The question is will he be able to pay any judgment you get against him.
Yes you can.
Your roommate committed a crime. Prosecute him or her. Go to the police and file a report. At the time of sentence, you can ask the judge to make restitution part of the sentence. Oh, you can sue civilly, but my idea is better.
Sure, but you may not have to. Odds are the authorities will require him to make restitution and pay you back.
    Yes, but check with the DA first. Criminal restitution is far better than a judgment.
    Sure you can sue for the money you lost, but why did you let him steal from you twice?
    You cannot sue for identify theft since that is a criminal act, not civil. Yes, you can sue for the lost of $1,000. Generally, the court will make restitution part of the defendant's sentence.
    Ksicinski
    Ksicinski | Paul Ksicinski
    Yes you can but you better do it quickly since your roommate may have other debts!
    Vandervoort, Christ & Fisher, P.C. | James E. Reed
    That would be a yes.
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    Yes you could sue him but you would have to sue him yourself and then chase him with an execution writ trying to find money in an account. Contact the deputy county attorney prosecuting the case and ask her to ask the Court for restitution(repayment) of your loss. Have your proof ready.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C.
    Law Offices of Richard M. Levy P.C. | Richard M. Levy
    That would be a yes.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C.
    James T. Weiner & Associates, P.C. | James T. Weiner
    Yes you can sue your roommate.. HOWEVER since he was arrested.. (I assume for identity theft and using your id) contact the prosecutor and make sure that a "restitution order" is put in place .. that restitution order should act instead of a civil judgment against him (or her) to enforce your rights. Further, a restitution order is stronger than a lawsuit in that a restitution order never expires and cannot be discharged by bankruptcy (weaker in that it does not require payment of interest) so.
    That would be a yes.
    Ty Wilson Law | Ty Wilson
    You should contact the district attorney's office and explain that you are the victim. They may as a part of the sentence require your roommate to pay you back what was stolen. Good luck.
    You can, but it might be easier to work with the District Attorney's office: many localities have a "victim witness assistance program" whereby funds are made available to you, and then recovered from the person charged. There are restrictions, limitations and conditions, so I don't know if you will qualify, but you can at least ask. Also, you should contact the Assistant District Attorney assigned to the case and (politely) insist that restitution be made part of any disposition. That means that if the roommate gets a plea bargain, you get your money back as part of the deal.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You can sue for the money that was taken from you. You may have a good claim against the bank also.
    Candiano Law Office
    Candiano Law Office | Charles J. Candiano
    You can sue anyone. The question is whether you can collect on the judgment. Your best option is to seek an order of restitution from the criminal judge.
    Yes you can. But the court may order restitution, and save you the trouble.
    End, Hierseman & Crain, LLC | J. Michael End
    Yes, you have the right to sue him. He took your money. There is enough evidence of the theft for the district attorney to prosecute him. You will have no problem winning the case. They may require your former roommate to repay you as part of the judgment that will be entered against your former roommate.