Can I sue my parents for emotional distress or abuse? 6 Answers as of August 14, 2013

I'm 21 now, soon to be 22. Ever since I turned 14 and was told of my adoption, my adoptive parents repeatedly insulted me, put me down, withheld information, threatened to hold my own money from me and constantly looked for reasons to hate me. As a result, I've reduced to suicidal thoughts, trust issues, and loss of anger control. I worry that the way they continue to hurt me, the more likely I'll be stuck living with them and even more likely to attempt suicide. Someone please, can I sue for emotional distress/abuse?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Peters Law, PLLC
Peters Law, PLLC | Mark T. Peters, Sr.
You could, but you would lose. If you don't like the way they treat you, leave. You are an adult and you do not have to put up with their treatment. Because you are staying around, it is now your fault you are suffering the abuse, not theirs.
Answer Applies to: Idaho
Replied: 8/14/2013
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
First of all take control of your own life. You have been living with them and you want to sue them. take control of your life, get a job, support yourself and forget what you think is abuse. You can sue anybody you want but you better have hard proof through doctors or psychiatrist,s and I doubt if you find a lawyer you can afford to file suit for you. I don't think anyone will take the case and I am not sure a jury would feel kindly to a young man who sues his parents.
Answer Applies to: North Carolina
Replied: 8/14/2013
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman
Law Offices of Ezra N. Goldman | Ezra Goldman
Any time someone asks "can I sue," this is both a legal question and a practical question. The answer to the legal question is yes. You can sue. Anyone can sue anyone and you may have a cause of action, depending on how the facts flesh out. The practical problem is quite another. Sue them for what? Money? Do they have money? Are you expecting a lawyer to take this case on a contingency? If so, best of luck I would not accept such a case on a contingency. And frankly, I would not take your money by the hour to engage in this. If you don't like your parents, the answer is to move out and get therapy. Suing them will accomplish nothing, other than enriching two lawyers by tens of thousands of dollars. Yes - tens of thousands,
Answer Applies to: Michigan
Replied: 8/14/2013
Moore Law Firm
Moore Law Firm | Stephen C. Moore
Your facts as stated do not support a civil claim under Alabama law. You may want to consult s Child Advocacy Center to discuss other options. You also may want to talk to an adoption attorney to see if the adoption can be voided thereby terminating any legal relationship.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 8/14/2013
David F. Stoddard
David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
If you have a viable case, there is a serious statute of limitations problem. You normally have three years to bring a personal injury lawsuit from the date of the incident causing the injury. This statue is tolled while you are a minor, but then you have one year to bring the suit after you become an adult. Any acts of emotional abuse that occurred three years ago or less are within the Statute of limitations, So there may be some acts that you can sue for that occurred while you were 18. Perhaps the court would allow evidence of earlier abuse as it was a continuing process of abuse, but this is doubtful. Another thing to consider is whether the parents have assets from which you could collect a judgment. I think it will be difficult to find an attorney to take this case, but you could try. Your best future may be to seek counseling, try to but what they have done behind you, and rise above their abuse. The way you were treated was unfair and unjust, but you have the power to rise above it.
Answer Applies to: South Carolina
Replied: 8/14/2013
    Gansen Law Group
    Gansen Law Group | Christopher J Gansen
    Don't worry about a lawsuit. Speak to a counselor and consider medication. This isn't permanent and things will improve. Look out for yourself only and take the right steps toward getting healthy. A lawsuit would most likely be ineffective and groundless and would only serve to increase the tension and drama in your relationship with your adoptive parents. It's a long life and its up to you to find your way. If things are tough now, understand that they do get better.
    Answer Applies to: California
    Replied: 8/14/2013
Click to View More Answers: