Can I sue my mom for taking my money, jeopardizing my career, and emotional instability? 1 Answers as of November 09, 2015

From the age of 12-18 I was earning my own money, which a percentage would go into a Coogan account for me that I could open once I turned 18, and then the rest into a savings account that was a minor trust account guarded by my mom (who is a lawyer). I just turned 18 and was able to access my accounts, but when I went to my savings account there was no money. The banker showed me that it was set up to fund my mothers account when it got low. Looking back I never was shown any checks that I received, and just let my mother take care of it, trusting her. Realizing that I now shouldn't have. She has also threatened to make me pay her all of my Coogan money, to reimburse her for things she has paid for me. But isn't that what parents do? I know she has taken my money to pay for rent, or other bills because she told me herself I was doing it, but never showing me any numbers or having me sign anything. Through all this she has burned bridges for me with employers, and friends, threatening to sue, being too strong headed, and putting herself first and her power before thinking about my life and connections and career. She has torn me apart. I don't know if I could even be able to fight her in court, or if this is even a possible case. But I would like some advice on if there is anything I could do. Thank you.

Lawyer for Independent Media
Lawyer for Independent Media | Sue Basko
It sounds like you may very well have a case against your mother and possibly against the bank and possibly against others who allowed this situation. You should definitely book up an appointment with a reputable law firm that does litigation in this field and allow them to analyze the situation. They will need to ask you many questions and look at this closely. That is your first step. Taking that first step means you are gathering information. Once you have the information, you can decide from there what to do.