Can I sue my landlord without a written lease? Posted on May 10, 2011

I moved into an apartment that didn’t require a lease. I moved in on the 15th on April and gave her $350 for the half-month rent and $700 for the damage deposit. When we talked on the phone I let her know I had a cat, she didn’t seem phased by this. About a week after living there (and numerous problems) she finally came by. This was the first time I had met her because every time I was supposed to meet her she would manage to not show up, so I dealt allot with her son). She came by to yell at me for having a cat, and told me that either the cat or me needed to go. I called her on the 24th of April and left a voicemail to let her know I was moving. I never received a call back and called 3 more times, nothing. I didn’t receive a call until May 5th stating she was going to lock me out. I told her I had already moved out and would be willing to meet at the apartment, do a final walkthrough, give her the keys, and get my security deposit back. She said her son did a walkthrough of the apartment (while I was still living there) and said the place was ruined and needed to be remodeled. I only lived there for 2 weeks, and didn’t even have time to unpack or put anything on the walls, the apartment had been fully renovated prior to me moving in. I asked her if we could still meet at the apartment to relook at it and she hung up on me. I have tried to call back, but no response. I'm not sure what to do.