Can I sue my grandfather for child abuse? 15 Answers as of June 17, 2015

I am only 16 years old and I was wondering if I can sue my grandfather for child abuse. I was abused when I was around 3-10 years old. I was also wondering if I need proof of him abusing me. I was very young and only remember several parts. My mom knows he abused me and never did anything about it so I also wondering if I can sue my mother too for never taking action. When my mom was she was abused by him too. He also abused her sisters when they were young too. He got his daughter pregnant by him too. Is this enough evidence for me to sue my grandfather?

Law Office of Lisa Hurtado McDonnell | Lisa Hurtado McDonnell
You have to show injury, have you been going to a medical doctor? It sounds like you can file a criminal case but that won't help you recover damages for personal injury but it show harm so you don't have to prove harm.
Very sorry. You need to go to some attorneys and discuss all the facts with them, especially if anyone will be willing to testify against him [and undergo a DNA test as to the child he fathered to show the incest]. Your mother is not likely to testify and you probably will need to sue her to get her to co-operate with you. That he abused others does not prove he abused you but may force him to admit it. The big problem will be whether he has any assets that will make a suit worthwhile. It is very doubtful there will be any insurance coverage as that covers only negligence [maybe you can claim that against your mother's homeowner's insurance if she has any] and not intentional acts. You also need to see if you can bring criminal charges and you may want to be taken away from your mother.
Yes, you can sue now, but as a minor you will need a guardian ad litem. If you are thinking of suing mom, who would that be? Or you can wait until age 18. You can contact your local bar assn. for a referral to a lawyer, who would take the case on a percentage.
Someone would have to sue for you since you are a minor, but what you are talking about is really more of a criminal matter that the District Attorney would have to get involved in. You would need to go to the legal authorities or seek legal advice from a lawyer.
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
Yes, and you should file a criminal complaint against him. Once he is convicted, your civil lawsuit will be easier.
    Adler Law Group, LLC
    Adler Law Group, LLC | Lawrence Adler
    You can sue him but that may depend on your age now to assess the statute of limitations
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C.
    The Law Offices of Russell Gregory, P.C. | Russell Gregory
    It probably is enough evidence. And, you still have time left on the statute of limitations. Is your grandfather and/or mother collectible? Have you gone to the prosecutor yet, regarding criminal charges?
    The facts you mention do not provide an adequate basis for a legal action against either your grandfather or your mother. Indeed, to sue someone you must prove your allegations. I suggest you consult a plaintiff's lawyer in your community, and in addition to discussing the facts which might support a legal action, see if you can use the occasion to look into your motivations for wanting to take this rather drastic step. In addition, do you know if your grandfather, or your mother, could pay a judgment if you actually obtained one?
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm
    Bulman Law Associates PLLC Injury Law Firm | Thomas Bulman
    Probably not enough evidence to convince a jury. Could your grandfather pay any money damages? If not, then suing is a waste of effort and time.
    Answer Applies to: Montana
    Yes you can, but you would need proof to prevail.
    You will need to have a law guardian appointed. Yes you will need proof and while it is possible that you may have enough, these cases are difficult. Finally, what if you win? Does your grandfather have assets to pay a judgment, or is your personal satisfaction enough? If it is the latter, you will need a lot of money to pay a lawyer's retainer.
    He sounds like a sick puppy." You cannot use his impregnating his daughter to prove his abusing you. It is possible that if there were others also abused to use it as a "pattern and practice." To sue him, you would have to be able to prove specific events. I have handled a similar case in the past, and I can tell you that after this long a time span, you will need to be specific. Not only as to what he did, but when. I suggest that you make contact with Child Protective Services and with their help, contact the police to pursue criminal charges. CPS will hopefully help you develop accurate dates, etc. before you go to the police. You can also sue civilly for damages, but since these acts are considered intentional, there would be no insurance coverage. As to your mom, if you can prove that she actually knew it was happening, or that there were sufficient "clues" that would make it reasonable that she should have known, you could sue her. The claim against her would be based on her negligently failing to act to protect you, and that would be covered by her homeowner's insurance (if she has any). The damages you would seek would (or should) include such psychiatric/psychological care as is required to help you overcome the emotional damage that this behavior would cause. I wish you good luck. I hope that you can also find a good, sensitive, and caring lawyer to help you.
    Utah Injury Lawyer
    Utah Injury Lawyer | Will Rodgers
    Yes, it appears you may have a case.
    Do you have $ 5000 for the retainer for the civil attorney? YES then you can sue.
    You need to talk with authorities... police so that a proper investigation can be done.