Can I sue my former employer for letting me go without any reason? 5 Answers as of July 05, 2016

I was recently discharged and the reason given for the discharge is not justified. I'm wondering if I can sue for them letting me go really for no reason. I was making an average 130,000 a year and had planned on retiring from there.

Alena Shautsova
Alena Shautsova | Alena Shautsova
You cannot unless there was discrimination involved.
S. Joseph Schramm | Joseph Schramm
Absent a violation of a written employment contract, a collective bargaining agreement or some state or federal law to prevent discriminatory conduct based on race, sex, religion, ethnicity, work place safety, disabiliity or sexual orientation an employer does not have to have a reason for discharging an employee. If you were making $130,000 per year at the time of your discharge you should at least apply for Unemployment Compensation benefits. You probably would be eligible for the maximum amount for 26 weeks.
KEYL ADR Services, LLC | Mark D. Keyl
MS is an employment at will State, which means that you work at the will of your employer. They need no reason to terminate your employment, and you have the right to walk away from employment with no notice without repercussions. There is no grounds to sue, unless the termination was for discriminatory reasons, which you have indicated was not the case. Also, if you had a written contract, you may have some recourse. Good luck in your job search.
The Niskar Law Firm, PLLC
The Niskar Law Firm, PLLC | Joey Niskar
In Michigan, employees are presumed to be at-will employees, which means that the employer can generally terminate you for any reason, even if unfair. However, if the given reason is one which has been made illegal under either federal or state law, or if there is evidence that the true, undisclosed reason for the termination was an illegal reason, then you could pursue legal action against the employer. I would need to know more about your situation in order to determine whether the termination was for an illegal reason or not.
Fox & Fox, S.C. | Richard F. Rice
Yes, if you believe your termination was for an illegal reason.