Can I sue my father for missing my child's birth to drink? 8 Answers as of February 04, 2016

I also have money left to me as a kid and my son and he's holding it.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro
Law Offices of Gerard A Fierro | Gerard A Fierro
Unfortunately, there is no legal action for having a bad father. You should consult with a lawyer if your father is holding money that belongs to you. You may have a legal action for conversion.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/4/2016
Law Offices of Helene Ellenbogen, P.S.H | Helene Ellenbogen
Your father has no legal duty to be at your child's birth. If you are of age, your father must release any money given to you when you were a child.
Answer Applies to: Washington
Replied: 2/3/2016
Walpole Law | Robert J. Walpole
I would say no to your father missing your child's birthday. But, if he is holding money belonging to you and if he will not give it to you, you should file a lawsuit against him.. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Oklahoma
Replied: 2/3/2016
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock
Law Offices of Arlene D. Kock | Arlene D. Kock
There's no specific remedy for fathers election not to spend quality time with his son other than to ask for a greater support level if father is exercising a limited timeshare. As to any funds belonging to you or your son, you can go into family law court requesting an accounting and release of those funds.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/2/2016
GordenLaw, LLC
GordenLaw, LLC | Vanessa J. Gorden
For the money, you should talk with an attorney to determine if/how to attempt to receive that. For the other, unfortunately, there are limits to what the law can do. We cannot force people to be good parents/grandparents/good people. Moral obligations are not always reflected in the law, and this would be an example of that - there is no law that requires him to be present at the birth. Best wishes.
Answer Applies to: Nebraska
Replied: 2/2/2016
Click to View More Answers: