Can I sue my employer if I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both of my hands? 36 Answers as of November 27, 2012

I have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome in both hands. I am fast food manager that works 50 hours per week and must work at a fast pace. I start with pain and end my day ends in excruciating pain. Unfortunately, surgery is not an option in one of my hands but is in the other. What are my options?

David Hoines Law
David Hoines Law | David Hoines
You may have a workers compensation claim.
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Cary J. Wintroub
Yes you have a workers compensation action.
Look into filing a workman's compensation claim rather than suing your employer.
You require a work comp attorney.
Leone, Throwe, Teller, & Nagle
Leone, Throwe, Teller, & Nagle | Adam J. Teller
In Connecticut you cannot Sue your employee but can make a claim for worker's compensation benefits. You will need a medical opinion that your work was a factor in causing your injury.
    E. Ray Critchett, LLC
    E. Ray Critchett, LLC | Ray Critchett
    Generally, if you have been injured at work or your work related activities give rise to an injury such as carpal tunnel, you may be able to file a claim for worker's compensation. You may contact our office to schedule an appointment if you have further questions or if you need assistance with this issue. You can also schedule an appointment or obtain additional information at our websites. Thank you.
    You can file a worker compensation claim if this problem was caused by the repetitive motion of the job. This is a doctor call.
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
    Yes, you can sue for compensation benefits if you gave notice to the employer of the injury within the statutory guidelines. You must report the injury and have a first report of injury filled out. You must also be able to relate this condition to your employment by clear and convincing evidence.
    Kirshner & Groff
    Kirshner & Groff | Richard M. Kirshner
    Speak to a workmans compensation attorney.
    Ouch, sounds like you are suffering quite a bit. You cannot sue your employer if it is a work related injury; this falls under the Workers' Compensation statutes. We do this type of case at our offices. Please contact us if you wish to discuss further; we have a free initial consultation. Good luck.
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    With very few exceptions, injuries that occur at work are covered by worker's compensation laws. So you would need to file a worker's compensation claim. The worker's compensation claim would cover the cost of the surgery if the injury is related to work. In this case, it is likely the injury is related.
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC
    Wilson & Hajek, LLC | Eddie W. Wilson
    If the carpal tunnel is job related you will probably come under worker's compensation. You can use the internet or phone directory to find a worker's compensation attorney who will fully discuss this matter with you.
    Suisman Shapiro
    Suisman Shapiro | John A. Collins
    Under CT law you may file a worker's compensation claim against your employer for lost wages, medical bills, permanent disability, etc. You should contact an attorney for further guidance.
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
    Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
    In Missouri, if the carpal tunnel is a result of your employment, it will be a workers' compensation case. Your employer would be responsible for medical bills, 2/3 of your lost wages, and must compensate you for any lasting disability. I would be happy to discuss your case with you and give you a free consultation and case valuation.
    Garruto & Calabria, LLC
    Garruto & Calabria, LLC | Andrew F. Garruto
    You can make a workers' compensation claim, assuming that your injury was caused by your employment. (It's different that a lawsuit where you allege negligence, so you're not technically going to "sue" your employer.) In New Jersey, if you sustained an injury because of your employment, you are entitled to three benefits.

* When the condition first presented itself

* When you first saw a doctor, and when a doctor first informed you that the condition is related to your work

* When you first notified your employer about the work-related injury/condition

* The details of all medical treatment to date

* What your original symptoms were, and how they have changed with treatment

* How much time you've lost from work, if any

* What treatment options have the doctors given you.

Hope you get better with treatment, and good luck in your claim.
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law
    Diana K. Zilko, Attorney at Law | Diana K. Zilko
    You cannot sue the employer directly unless they do not carry workers compensation coverage. If they do, then you need to open a claim, if you have not done so already. If a claim is open, then I would highly recommend meeting with a work comp attorney about handling your claim. If you have further questions, please let me know.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O.
    The Law Office of Eric R. Chandler, P.C., L.L.O. | Eric R. Chandler
    Sounds like a possible workers compensation issue. You should contact a work comp lawyer.
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo
    Law Office of Mark J. Leonardo | Mark Leonardo
    If the injury is truly caused from working then you would have a workers compensation claim.
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm
    Wilson & Hajek,LLC, a personal injury law firm | Francis Hajek
    In Virginia, such claims come under the category of worker's compensation and may or may not be compensable. You should consult an experienced attorney in that field.
    Hire a lawyer and ask him or her about workmen's comp. Every state is different.
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC | Russell D. Gray
    In Utah, if you are injured on the job, your only recourse is through workers compensation. In other words, you cannot sue your employer but must file a workers compensation claim. You will need to prove that the injury was caused by the work you do on the job.
    Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC
    Law Office of Travis Prestwich, PC | Travis Prestwich
    You should report this to your employer and file a worker's compensation claim. In Oregon, if you have worker's compensation, you are required to file a claim and go through this process. A good worker's compensation attorney should be able to assist you.
    Allegretti & Associates
    Allegretti & Associates | James L. Allegretti
    It is difficult to say from your facts that your carpal tunnel syndrome is work related. Usually you must show some type of repetitive motion with your hands and wrists to support a worker's comp claim for that injury. Speed and hours worked, without more, is not enough. Did your Doctor relate the injury to your job? His opinion is important because you can have carpal tunnel that is not job related.
    Tenge Law Firm, LLC
    Tenge Law Firm, LLC | J. Todd Tenge
    Assuming you didn't have the condition prior to working at your place of employment, you have a workers compensation claim. Most likely, your employer has workers compensation insurance coverage which should cover your medical bills, surgical costs, lost wages, and provide additional benefits for your injury (past and future). You should contact a qualified injury attorney to help you make the workers compensation claim.
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates
    Lyle B. Masnikoff and Associates | Lyle B. Masnikoff
    You have a workers comp case. You need to report it to your employer and hire an attorney.
    McLaughlin & Kim, LLP
    McLaughlin & Kim, LLP | Steven Kim
    You can file a workers compensation claim with your employer. If you want a consultation, feel free to contact me, and I can possibly refer you to a specialist.
    Willens Law Offices
    Willens Law Offices | Matthew Willens
    A worker who has sustained an injury, commonly referred to as a repetitive trauma injury, is entitled to benefits under the Illinois Workers' Compensation Act. Repetitive trauma injuries are not necessarily due to a specific incident. These injuries generally occur over time. Unfortunately, when a worker is injured through repetitive trauma, the worker might not associate the injury as being work-related.
    Cary J. Wintroub & Associates
    Cary J. Wintroub & Associates | Sheldon J. Aberman
    Yes, you may pursue a worker's compensation claim against your employer for your injury. It is easier to discuss your options in person versus attempting to do so in a question and answer format.
    The Pedigo Law Corporation
    The Pedigo Law Corporation | Brian T. Pedigo, Esq.
    You need to consult with a workers' compensation attorney in your area ASAP. Contact me if you need a referral in the Southern California region.
    Kalogerakos & Associates
    Kalogerakos & Associates | Tony S. Kalogerakos
    Sure, you can sue. Call our office, and we can discuss further.
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates
    Barry Rabovsky & Associates | Barry Rabovsky
    You may have a case, based upon the information that you have supplied. We would be happy to provide you with a free consultation if you call my office at either of the numbers listed below. My office has handled many carpal tunnel cases. If my office accepts your case, there is no fee charged unless we are able to obtain a settlement for you.

Thank you for your email, and we look forward to hearing from you.
    The Law Offices of Jason Chan
    The Law Offices of Jason Chan | Jason Chan
    Worker's compensation may be a good thing to look into. You may also want to look at social security disability.
    The Law Office of David J. Reed, LLC
    The Law Office of David J. Reed, LLC | David J. Reed
    It depends on the cause of the syndrome. You may have a worker's compensation claim though. You should speak to an attorney about the cause and damages. Most personal injury attorneys offer a free consultation.
12 3 4 5 6 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney