Can I sue my employer for not letting me get medical attention? 13 Answers as of July 12, 2013

I injured my back (not work related) and went to work. After I got to work my back started to hurt more and I had numbness in my right leg. I asked my employer if I could got the hospital and he refused to let me go at that time. I asked serveral more times telling him that I need medical attention now. About 4 to 5 hours later he let me leave. Can I sue? and how long do I have to file a law sue?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC
Lacy Fields, Attorney at Law, LLC | Lacy Fields
Let's assume you can sue. What are your damages? For a lawsuit you must show that someone was negligent and that negligence caused you damages. Without a doctor to say that somehow your boss's delay made your injury worse, you don't really have a negligence case. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact my office.
Answer Applies to: Missouri
Replied: 6/3/2011
Law Office of Corey D. Bryan
Law Office of Corey D. Bryan | Corey D. Bryan
Can you? Yes, would you be successful? Probably no. Your employer is not liable for injuries not incurred during the course of your employment. Typically the statute of limitations for this type of action is 2 years but it depends on what State you live in as it differs State to State.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 6/3/2011
Michael Anthony Wing, P.C.
Michael Anthony Wing, P.C. | Michael Anthony Wing
I don't see a viable cause of action, unless you were physically restrained form leaving. Stay well.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 6/2/2011
Law Office of Sam Levine, LLC
Law Office of Sam Levine, LLC | Sam L. Levine
What a bad situation. I would be happy to speak with you. You would need to contact me or another attorney to discuss the matter. Good luck & take care!
Answer Applies to: Georgia
Replied: 6/2/2011
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A.
Kelaher Law Offices, P.A. | James P Kelaher
Sorry, but I don't know the answer to that. I would think that under the Family Medical Leave Act, those actions might be prohibited, but if you want to google FMLA, it may answer your question in there.
Answer Applies to: Florida
Replied: 6/2/2011
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A.
    Paul Whitfield and Associates P.A. | Paul L. Whitfield
    Why did you not just go to the doctor? did he have you physically restrained in some way? Tell me more and tell me how the delay caused harm (other than hurt feelings).
    Answer Applies to: North Carolina
    Replied: 7/12/2013
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney
    Patrick M Lamar Attorney | Patrick M Lamar
    You can sue for worker's compensation and you have two years from the date of your injury.
    Answer Applies to: Alabama
    Replied: 6/2/2011
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A.
    Ewusiak & Roberts, P.A. | Christopher J. Roberts
    Possibly. I see two primary questions: 1) did you suffer a much worse injury due to the several hour delay in treatment (this would determine the extent of your damages, which are an essential component of any negligence claim), and 2) did the employer have reason to know that delaying your treatment may cause you such an injury. It is not per se unreasonable for an employer to want its employee to work an entire shift. However, an employer should never put an employee at risk of physical harm simply due to a desire to get a full day's work out of him or her. How long you have to sue depends entirely on your jurisdiction. Most states allow negligence claims to be brought within 1 year to as long as 4 years after an accident. You should talk to a lawyer in your area to determine your specific limitations period, and to flesh out more details of your claim to determine if you have a potential right to recovery.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 2/21/2012
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC
    Law Office of Russell D. Gray, PC | Russell D. Gray
    If you were injured on the job (whether directly or because your injury got worse due to not going to the doctor) your only recourse is through workers compensation. However, because you were injured prior to going to work and had not sought medical attention, you may have a difficult time showing that workers compensation would apply. You need to talk to a workers compensation attorney. Also, if your original injury was caused through someone else's fault, you might have a claim against that other person. Otherwise there may not be anything an attorney could do for you.
    Answer Applies to: Utah
    Replied: 6/1/2011
    Cody and Gonillo, LLP
    Cody and Gonillo, LLP | Christine Gonilla
    Contact the State Department of Labor and discuss with them.
    Answer Applies to: Connecticut
    Replied: 6/1/2011
    David F. Stoddard
    David F. Stoddard | David F. Stoddard
    I do not believe you have a viable suit. The only law that I am aware of that applies is the Family medical Leave Act. I f you have worked there for a year, and they have 15 or more employees, then you have a right to be absent from work for a serious medical condition. This is generally defined as a condition that requires you to be out for three or more days, or that requires on going treatment from a doctor. While your injury might meet one of those definitions, unless he fired you for being out for your medical condition, I feel you have no case. If your condition cannot be cured because you were not allowed medical attention until you finished your shift, you might have a case. Otherwise, even if your employer technically violated the FMLA, you have no damages.
    Answer Applies to: South Carolina
    Replied: 6/1/2011
    LT Pepper Law
    LT Pepper Law | Luke T. Pepper
    If the injury was made worse by working, there may be a basis for a worker's comp claim. Long shot but possible.
    Answer Applies to: Pennsylvania
    Replied: 6/1/2011
    Kirshner & Groff
    Kirshner & Groff | Richard M. Kirshner
    You can sue anyone. Whether you will be successful is another question.
    Answer Applies to: Florida
    Replied: 6/1/2011
Click to View More Answers:
12 3 Free Legal QuestionsConnect with a local attorney