Can I sue my boyfriend for giving me a pill for abortion disguising it as a birth control pill? 5 Answers as of April 01, 2013

I wanted to know if I can take my ex boyfriend to court. He gave me a pill but he told me it was just to make sure I don’t get pregnant. He never told me that pill was for abortion. Days before this event, I told him I am against abortion and never would do it. He told me he knew all about the pill and that it worked but never told me about the abortion part or any of that. I want to take him to court because he has damage me physically and morally. Before going to a lawyer, I want to know if I can demand him for this reason.

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Durham Jones & Pinegar | Erven Nelson
Yes, you could sue him for battery and fraud. Also, emotional distress.
Answer Applies to: Nevada
Replied: 4/1/2013
Law Offices of Mark West
Law Offices of Mark West | Mark West
While it might be possible for you to make some sort of claim against your boyfriend, the thing you have to realize is, in my opinion, you would be attacked on similar moral grounds, and I am making no such attack, merely pointing out what he and or his attorneys would do in a lawsuit. It could prove very demoralizing to you.
Answer Applies to: California
Replied: 2/25/2013
Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC
Curry, Roby & Mulvey Co., LLC | Bruce A. Curry
The short answer to your question is "yes". He can be held civilly liable under many different theories of recovery although actually recovering damages from him is always an question in suits like this.
Answer Applies to: Ohio
Replied: 2/25/2013
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C.
James E. Hasser, Jr. P.C. | Jim Hasser
Yes, he could be liable, but you would also have to be free from fault as well. In Alabama, you can't assume any risk or contribute to your injuries. If you do, you don't have a case. I am sure that pill was a controlled substance which you could only get by prescription. If you were taking unprescribed medicine, you will be deemed to have assumed the risks associated with doing so. There's also the problem of collecting against your boyfriend. Even if you could prove you were free of fault, if you get a judgment against him, will you be able to collect it. In other words, does he have the money to pay it. I seriously doubt there is any insurance to cover such a claim, so you would wind up having a second lawsuit to try and collect on it. I think your best bet is to pick up the pieces and go home; live and learn. It is never a good idea to take unprescribed medicine. Good luck.
Answer Applies to: Alabama
Replied: 2/25/2013
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C.
Andrew T. Velonis, P.C. | Andrew Velonis
Your question reflects a lack of understanding as to how these bio-chemicals work. It appears that you took a pill from someone who is not a doctor, without knowing what it was. Since you voluntarily took that pill under those circumstances, it is your responsibility. You do not state whether you were in fact pregnant or whether your pregnancy terminated. Before you get involved with any new boyfriend, get some good advice on contraception, then you won't have to worry about abortion.
Answer Applies to: New York
Replied: 2/24/2013
Click to View More Answers: