Can I sue my apartment manager for a flood that made my home uninhabitable and unsafe for my children in Illinois? 1 Answers as of December 29, 2010

I was moved from my apartment due to flooding and rot damage, and the next day had to be removed from a second apartment for the same thing. It has been almost a week since this happened, and property management has not returned any of my calls. The do not act like they care that my place is uninhabitable by anyones standards. I have 3 kids, and we were all forced out of 2 apartments within 5 days. We had been originally put up in a hotel until the management made arrangements to move us into another unit, but since the other unit flooded 24 hours later, they haven't returned any of my phone calls. I have been forced to stay with friends and I have only been back to grab belongings. I am very afraid to go in my home because of the amount of water. I do not want to get electrocuted or breathe in something infectious. Do I have a case?

Ask a Local Attorney. 100% Anonymous. Free Answers.

Free Case Evaluation by a Local Lawyer: Click here
Peckar & Abramson, P.C.
Peckar & Abramson, P.C. | David Scriven-Young
Probably yes, depending on what your lease says. Usually you can sue a landlord for breach of lease if your apartment becomes uninhabitable. You should contact an attorney to discuss your options.

I have experience representing tenants on such issues and would be glad to speak with you. You can call me or e-mail me at Thanks for your inquiry.
Answer Applies to: Illinois
Replied: 12/29/2010
Click to View More Answers: