Can I sue a Michigan bar if I was injured in their parking lot? 1 Answers as of February 07, 2011

Recently I was at a bar and there was an altercation. A beer bottle was thrown through my friends car window. Glass and beer were everywhere and in the end my friends phone was damaged by the beer as well as her car window. I ended up with ten stitches in my leg. Can we sue the owner of the establishment because he stood outside and watched this happen in his parking lot for twenty minutes and never called the police only offered an apology.

The Liblang Law Firm, P.C.
The Liblang Law Firm, P.C. | Dani K. Liblang
Based on the information provided, you most likely can. The owner of the establishment has a duty to use reasonable care. The failure to call the police under the circumstances does not sound like reasonable care. There may also be dramshop liability against the bar if the person who threw the beer bottle was served alcoholic beverages by the bar while visibly intoxicated. If you would like to discuss your rights in more detail, please feel free to call or e-mail me directly.